Sunday, May 27, 2012

I Heart the East Coast Greenway

The first third of my recent Northeast bike tour was on the coast and much of that portion was on the East Coast Greenway.  The ECG has grand plans to connect an off road bike route from Key West, FL to Calais, ME.  In the meantime, it's a patchwork of rail trails, bike paths, and on road segments.  You can pick up cue sheets online.  Several route segments have also been signed by local ECG chapters, for example, the route in coastal New Hampshire.

When you've been futzing with cue sheets and traffic all day it's very relaxing to come upon 5 miles of blissful bike path.  You can comfortably ride two abreast and take a break from incessant 'car back' rejiggering.

I'm going to get off my butt and join this awesome organization.  Perhaps you should too...

By the way, did you realize the East Coast Greenway passes right through downtown Hartford?  I expect this will result in more bicycle tourists calling on me as a Warm Showers host.



No comments: