Thursday, November 20, 2008

A quandry and a a strange occurance

I've had a cold this week. It's a been a particularly nasty one and it might be a flu, but I'm really hoping that it's not. I came to work late on Wednesday and then left early today. I may take the entire day off tomorrow, because in my current state, I'd just infect my coworkers.

There's something else, too: that race in Cheshire. I know that the race shouldn't factor into my decision making at all because work is more important than my pathetic racing attempts. I did pay $20 to pre-reg, though.

Also, I snapped the front brake cable on my surly today. Has that ever happened to anyone before? I've certainly never heard of it. It happened just as I was stopping in the driveway, so no catastrophic injuries. It was really weird, though. One of the individual threads had snapped a month or so ago, but you wouldn't think that could a change reaction that would break them all. That wasn't really the case at all. One broke awhile ago and then they all broke today at once. I have just recently purchased a cable cutter/crimper, but seemed to have lost it in the move.

3 comments:

Karma said...

Considering how hard it is to cut through old cables when replacing them im amazed you snapped your cable especially under so little stress! Perhaps there was some weakening at that point that you couldn't see or had not noticed. Glad to hear you are still riding despite the cold, always the best way to get rid of a malady.

Brendan said...

haven't you seen my muscles? those brakes are always under constant stress!

El Presidente de China said...

I snapped a front brake cable once, many years ago when I was a messenger. I was going fast down a street and some lady with a handtruck just came out from between two parked cars and started crossing the street in the middle of the block. I slammed on the brakes hard and still slammed into her pretty hard (I avoided the handtruck, which was appreciably less pudgy and would have caused me and my bike more damage). In the process, my front brake cable snapped.