Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Continued Craiglist Thoughts



The election yesterday was pretty good. My main concern yesterday, obviously, was Urania Petit for Hartford Registrar of Voters. It ended well. She beat Sal Bramante by 104 votes. Now Hartford has 3 registrars. Suck on that, rest of the state!

Anyway, I was snooping on craigslist briefly and thinking to myself that now that the weather is getting cooler, craiglist is really improving. I saw a $500 mid 90s serotta that looked pretty awesome and some other nice things. I also saw a langster and a pista for $450, both of which were in Hartford by the same guy. Weird.

Then I saw this: http://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/881668326.html

It's a Mercier Kilo TT for $300 with no wheels. On bikesdirect, it only costs $399. It's got a purple chain, but I still can't understand how you can charge that much money for a wheel-less bikesdirect bike.

That's it. See you on Saturday. Thanks to ghostship and bike new haven for the shoutouts about THE EEL.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Don't you know that everyone pays full price on CL, silly rabbit? I look at CL every day for bikes and there are two trains of thought, maximize your profit by trying to get the most you can or price to just move it. Most people are expecting a rube to pay full value.

Brendan said...

I've got some pretty good deals off craigslist, though my Surly was a little on the high side. I didn't have to pay shipping, though.

Anonymous said...

Um..Isn't it obvious that the Mercier has added value because of the "improvements" the current owner put into it.

It must have taken a lot of time to ruin a paint job with all those stickers. And the risers chopped down to pogo-stick width, with green grips. Where else can you find something like that, except maybe the Brooklyn CL. Let's not forget about the purple chain either. Can you say Bling?

Also, from the picture it appears that bike can float all by itself. Imagine the potential for making money if you owned a floating bike. As I see it, this is an investment.

Seriously though, I found an awesome deal on my last CL bike purchase. Granted I staked out the NH CL bikes listing for a month straight checking 4-5 times a day. Happy to say, I found exactly what I was looking for.