Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Doing my part for Vermont tourism

As you know, I like Vermont. This past weekend I was up there once more, though perhaps the last time for a little while. Courant columnist and guy who likes bikes, Rick Green, was lamenting the impact that Irene was going to have on tourism in Vermont. Don't be deterred! The leaves are changing and pretty. Most roads aren't out and even if they are that means that you should either switch to bike or your car trip is about to get much more exciting. On an interesting bike ride on Saturday, I encountered several washouts, all of which had very novel work arounds, like a temporary road right through someone's front yard. I also discovered Vertical Mile Road, which most definitely has one of the coolest names ever. I was descending it and it was really steep, but I don't believe that I started from a mile in the air. Interestingly, it seems to be the only "Vertical Mile Road" in the United States.


I also found a sweet abandoned house in the middle of the woods.


So, anyway, you should go leaf peeing or whatever it is you're supposed to do up there.


No comments: