Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sharrows Explained

Karma's recent post along with his excellent photos of the new road markings in West Hartford got me wasting a perfectly good Monday evening scouring the intrawebz looking for some information on that pattern that I remember seeing sometime before. Rather than bury the results of my research in the comments section of his post, I thought this information would better serve the community as a separate post.

I've never seen such a thing actually implemented in person until they appeared in West Hartford, but the new markings aren't just a result of someone in the WH government smoking crack. They're called "Sharrows" (which I'm guessing is the result of some fan of mashing words together got when they looked at "shared" and "arrows") and they have become implemented in just the manner that we've seen in West Hartford in an increasing number of bike savvy cities: San Francisco, Portland, and Boulder, for example.

The brief history is that this particular design and use was started in Denver in the mid-90s. Generally, they were ignored elsewhere, until a 2004 study released by the city of San Francisco recommended sharrows be implemented to mark shared-use roads. Caltrans (the CA state DOT) adopted the markings that same year and use has expanded. In 2007, the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices unanimously voted to endorse the marking in federal manuals of traffic control devices.

The two main purposes of these markings are: 1) to alert motorized traffic that the road is to be shared and 2) to correctly position cyclists outside of the "door zone" of parked cars. This also serves to correct the bad habit of bikes traveling on the wrong side of the road, as well as encourage not-so-experienced cyclists that it's OK to take the lane. We'd probably see fewer a-hole drivers screaming at us to get out of the road, too. It's important to point out that in general, they aren't preferred to a dedicated bike lane, but rather recommended in areas where the streets are too narrow or dangerous to have such a lane.

The only problems I see with the markings in West Hartford is the previous designation of the side stripes as being a "bike lane," and the absolute lack of communication about these markings. We've all seen how cars are often in that side lane, and we've complained about it a lot on this blog. I think someone somewhere made a mistake at calling those things on the sides of Boulevard "bike lanes" and it was decided to make these routes "shared roads," and the sharrows were eventually laid down. The sharrows are even defined in the West Hartford Master Bike Plan. (see page 19). However, the fact remains that there has been NO COMMUNICATION by the town or state government about these markings and how to use them. When some of the most experienced cyclists I know in the region seem confused by these markings, you would think that some form of public announcement, or press release, or some mention in the newspaper would be in order. At the MINIMUM, a mention on the town's website. Nothing. When SF implemented them, they put PSA signs on city buses as part of their educational campaign.

There's some great reading on the sharrow movement, and I'll throw a list of links down in order of usefulness:

After consuming all this, I'll say I'm in favor of sharrows, as long as cyclists and drivers get educated about them, what they mean, and how to properly use them.

6 comments:

Musegal said...

Every time I see the arrows on the road it reminds me of the nintendo game Excitebike. Then I feel the need to ride over them like I'm going to get some extra burst of energy to help me on my route. oh nintendo, how i love thee.

Karma said...

Excellent information Rich, I have to say that while I would prefer the application of bike lanes in this case it has become clear that the difficulty of balancing parking and bike lanes is too much for the city to handle. In that case (not that I am giving up on bike lanes) I do support what the "sharrows" stand for, namely as you specify, indicating the correct direction of travel for bikes, the shared lane reality, and interestingly the door-clearing distance aspect. The largest shortcoming is of course, as you point out, the failure of the town to educate the public as to these tools. I guess that is where we come in. Perhaps we could collaborate on an editorial to the Courant or other local news publication to do just that.

OpusOne said...

musegal: I wasn't cool enough to have an NES growing up. But I did play a helluva a lot of MarioKart in my college apartments, and that's what I think of. Either way, the markings have done their job by getting us to ride over the arrows.

karma: I like the idea of an editorial! And are there any dedicated bike lanes anywhere in W. Hartford?

El Presidente de China said...

Here's my problem with the sharrows: If they're meant to indicate that the streets they're on are for shared use, what does that say about all the streets they're not on? Lawyers (who are nerds like me) recall the latin phrase expressio unius est exclusio alterius, which means, in essence, mentioning one thing excludes another thing. Usually, this applies to lists in laws, so if I saw a sign on a highway ramp that said, "bicycles and pedestrians prohibited," I might logically think, "The inclusion of only bikes and peds in the prohibition logically means horses are not prohibited," and I would pull gently on Mr. Snickers's reins to direct him onto 1-84 East. Likewise, I am concerned that drivers will learn of the sharrows' stated purpose and start honking at me whenever I pilot the ol' two-wheeler down one of West Hartford's many un-sharrowed side streets. And that would be bogus, because, as I have mentioned before, state law lets bikes go on streets.

Also, I think the Town of West Hartford should make some PSAs about the sharrows featuring the king of calypso, The Mighty Sparrow, just for the wealth of sharrow/sparrow wordplay opportunities.

Also, while I'm appending tangential paragraphs that begin with "also" to this comment, I just learned that The Mighty Sparrow's given name is "Slinger Francisco," which is about the coolest name ever in the whole world. It is no surprise, with such an awesome stage name and an even awesomer real name, that he puts on a good show.

Anonymous said...

Rich, thanks for the very informative post.

El Presidente : maybe in the future sharrows will be as common as crosswalk stripes and other signage on all roads. Also, I have always wanted to teleport. Just sayin' it'd be rad if both these things came true.

El Presidente de China said...

Here's my question about teleportation: If you do it using super powers, is it effortless, or is it physically taxing in proportion to the distance covered? Because then it would be great for stuff like dodgeball, but not so hot as a replacement for costly airplane trips.