Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Legs

Photo credit to someone who actually ran the marathon.

This weekend was Columbus Day weekend as well as the running of the Hartford Marathon. It also was a weekend of beautiful weather. I'm sure the marathon runners loved that. My neighbor, Val, ran the half marathon. I think that's pretty impressive, as I have no idea how to run 13 miles, let alone 26. Some how that morning, Johanna convinced me that I should go running. I'm not sure how that happened. I hate running and I always have, but next thing I knew we were at Sports Authority buying running shoes and before long we were at the Reservoir. I've been the reservoir a million times, but I've never actually run around it. Now, I have. It wasn't so bad while I was doing it, but man I was unhappy the next morning.


Also, yesterday afternoon, as I had the day off, I went over to Case Mountain. I was having a good time and didn't get lost for once. On my way back I ran into these two kids who were partially lost and it was starting to get dark. I told them to go back the way they went, as it was the easiest return trip for them. I also told them to follow me, but realized I was going a lot faster. So, I kept on ahead and returned to my car to get my headlamp. When I got there, I ran into the father of one of the kids and told him that I was going to go retrieve them with my headlamp. I went back and found them. Things were going ok, until I was riding slowing down a drop and did a nasty endo. I temporarily got that I-bashed-my-knee-so-hard-I-feel-like-I'm-going-to-puke feeling, but I persevered and didn't want to look like a wuss. We made and it back just fine until the gate a very end, where I almost did the exact same thing and managed to tear my shorts but not crash. I'm uncertain as to how I tore my shorts. But, everything turned out ok. Also, I managed to grow another knee cap on top of my old one.


In the event of this much water, the race'll probably be canceled.

Also, on Saturday, Johanna and I rode The Eel. I think it's going to be a sweet race. Two laps shouldn't be a big deal and hopefully no one gets scared of 20 miles. I need to figure out how to make a map of it so people don't get lost while racing. Maybe I could spray paint arrows...

8 comments:

Billy Hoyle said...

That's good that you weren't unhappy after running... Running gets you nice just like biking does. Will 23-27c tires be able to handle the Eel?

Brendan said...

27mm should be ok, though traction might not be awesome on dirt.

what about your mountain bike?

Musegal said...

Seeing as it took me two days to recover from biking to work on Saturday (20 miles round trip) I don't think I'll be participating in the Eel. But I'm happy to help with anything else that I can logistically!!! Just let me know.

Anonymous said...

My wife ran the 1/2 marathon and I ran the full. It was painful but rewarding.

But what is even more rewarding, I picked up a FREE Tommasini custom frame and form with Campagnolo components. I don't know what year it is but it's in almost perfect condition. My mother in law was about to throw it in the trash. I just sent pictures to Tommasini so they can authenticate and give me a value. Can't wait to get it on the road!

Brendan said...

I'm totally mystified as to how you can run that far. I can't imagine that my feet can withstand the pain of 26.2k let alone 26.2 miles.

Anonymous said...

It took a lot of training. I never liked running either but I got better over time. Now I actually enjoy it. My feet hurt a lot during the race and now my toe nails hurt. I'm just glad my nips didn't gush blood like the guy who finished next to me.

Brendan said...

I think I'd rather attempt of double century. Well, maybe 150 miles first. I think it's possible.

Karma said...

Due to an increase in school work and the earlier setting sun Ive also taken to running again. The pain that takes over at about mile 5 entirely blocks my conception of running a marathon. Ive been thinking of trying a half but doubt I could grit it out. I'd much rather ride a century or other long distance ride on a bike, I think it stems from my short legs and duck-footed stride. As for the Eel we'll have to see if I can get it off from work and if I can get something running that can manage it.