Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Brendan's new losing pursuit

Looks like fun, huh? I don't have any pictures of the run up.


I bought a used Raleigh cyclocross bike off of ebay a few months ago to help the economy of the Pennsylvania. It's one of those 1x8 dealies with an older dura ace rear dérailleur, STIs, and older dura ace cranks. I stole Johanna's Maxxis Steve Larsen tires for some traction. It came with really terrible tires. Well, don't get me started with what I was presented with from UPS.

Since none of our local parks have cyclocross courses in them, I've gone off to the eastern part of the state for some racing. I went to Mansfield Hollow two weeks ago for my first race and Dayville last weekend. Obviously, I didn't finish anywhere near first, because I'm not very fast. I'm not too depressed with the results, though - more or less midpack results in both. Well, I was futher back in the first one, but moved up in the second. I have the same problem I do with mountain biking, in that I start pretty strong but let people pass me in the middle laps and do adequately catch up. Although, with the field being bigger. There's a lot more actual racing taking place. The Mansfield Hollow race had 50 or so and Dayville had 30 something. Midpack is nothing to complain about. Besides, riding with one of the cheapest bikes out there is definitely worth some bonus places.

3 comments:

El Presidente de China said...

You'll always be the number one champion in our hearts, Brendan. And I totally agree that riding with a shitty bike gets you extra props - it means that no matter where you finish, you are both more thrifty and more manly than your better-outfitted competitors. Also, I bet you could devise a cyclocross-esque course in Keney Park.

Dan said...

Rad stuff, my man. I love going fast on a cheap bike. Looking forward to seeing that beard covered in medals!

Brendan said...

it's not a shitty bike. I'm sure I intimidate someone with the aged dura ace. however, there are definitely some wheelsets there that cost triple what I paid for my bike. it's beyond me why you'd be paying that much to race in the c class. there aren't even cash prizes! (unlike The Eel)

regarding a race in keney- it'd be awesome. if we ever become well organized or friends with a bike shop or something like that, we could definitely ask the city.