Monday, October 6, 2008

Confluence



The Connecticut could be worse.

I've been carrying on about the Source to Sea Cleanup for a long time now. Those of you who know me, know that I carry on about a great many things, but do not do them. This on the other hand actually took place.

I'm not actually drinking this.

We had 17 people show up at the Connecticut and Park's confluence. Some arrived by truck, some by car, some by bike, and some on foot. We were supposed to have some by boat, but they got injured or discouraged. We started at 10 and cleaned right on until 2:30 or so. I would say it was an unmitigated success. We cleaned the entire area we set out to do, unearthing a ton of trash. Maybe slightly more than a ton? I don't know, I'm not a scale. 


Some trash is dangerous!

We found dangerous a hunting knife, syringes, a canoe, a bumper, and 40 million pieces of styrofoam. 

Isamu Noguchi rules!


Andy Hart gets photo credits on the second two river pictures.

4 comments:

Karma said...

Now that I think about it I hope that half of a canoe we found wasn't from the guy that was supposed to arrive by canoe, or who is a canoe, or whatever the deal was. Either way a rough end to that boat. On a positive note I hope someone snagged the Obama shirt that I found!

This was a great event and one that I think we should organize more often, perhaps a Hartford Parks clean up next?

Brendan said...

the canoe guy called me in the morning and told me he had injured himself and couldn't come. maybe he injured himself breaking his canoe in half.

Karma said...

Or perhaps someone ran their car into his canoe and thats where the bumper came from?

Brendan said...

or, he ran his canoe into their car.