Wednesday, April 23, 2008

In Honor of the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (and Billy Dawes)

Because I am obsessed with holidays celebrated only in Massachusetts, I went on a nighttime ride on Monday in honor of Patriots Day. Patriots Day celebrates the Battles of Concord and Lexington, the first armed conflicts of the Revolutionary War. These were preceded, of course, by the midnight ride of Paul Revere, and also by a similar ride by Billy Dawes (no one knows why Longfellow's famous poem speaks only of Revere, even though Revere was captured while Dawes, who took the southern route through Boston and Roxbury, actually eluded the redcoats and was able to warn more patriots that the British were coming). Also, conveniently, my wife needed something picked up from the Kinko's on Trumbull Street downtown and we wanted to rent a movie, so I took a ponderous route to the Blockbuster at Bishop's Corner before meandering downtown.

It was a marvelous evening to be on the old velocipede, and I carried my tripod and got a couple pictures of this and that (you can click on them to see the larger versions). Enjoy:







I really like this nighttime view of Hartford, even though it's a little overexposed. You should click on it to see the larger version.

4 comments:

Brendan said...

what do you do for leif erickson day?

El Presidente de China said...

They don't celebrate that in Massachusetts, but if I have time, I usually sail to Michigan.

chillwill said...

me and my homies and a quart of beer!

Anonymous said...

sweet photos.
you're kinda, sorta, almost, just a little making me miss hartford.