Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Problems

Since America has presidents, America has holidays for its presidents. I get those holiday days off from work. So, over the last six days, I had four of them off. When I have days off and Johanna has to work, I try to go mountain biking or at least hang out in the woods. (America also has trees and a holiday for them, but I don't get Arbor Day off. Too bad.)

On Lincoln's Birthday, I went off to Mt. Riga with my 'cross bike to climb CT's biggest hills. This was a totally failure as these are also CT's only seasonal roads (as far as I know). So, I took a long and snowy/rainy walk, pushing my bike through the highlands of Salisbury.

You cannot ride most bikes, but especially not a 'cross bike on hills that look like this (because of the snow, not the steepness):




On Saturday, I decided to use an actual mountain bike to ride in the snow and went to the reservoir. After about 1/4 mile of riding my chain broke. But, I came prepared. Well, sort of. In trying to fix the chain, the chain tool broke and I couldn't get pin all the way back. It was mostly back in, so I figured I'd probably be alright. I wasn't and the chain broke a 1 1/2 mile later and couldn't be fixed. This is the third cheap Lifu chain broke that I've had break. In fact, they generally are half broken after their first use. I bought a Park Tool now. It'll probably last until my fingers can't turn it.

On Sunday, I went for a road ride with three newly-met-by-me dudes, Ryan, Gabe, and Kyle from UHa. That was totally uneventful and a pleasant ride. I also now know what inland East Windsor looks like. Or, maybe it's inland South Windsor.

Yesterday, with another day off, I tried to ride at the reservoir again. I didn't fail per se, but thawing old snow requires an incredible amount of energy to ride through and has next to no reward.

I did get some cool rewards yesterday unrelated to a bike from my stove.

Home fries and tofu scramble:




Kimchi miso soba with tofu & bok choi:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your stove gives out nicer stuff than mine does. Maybe mine needs repair.

I didn't break a chain, but I was cleaning mine a few days ago and found that it had 30+ cracked links! Isn't that weird? It was a Sram chain that I installed the morning of the Eel race, so between that and snow commuting it had a rough life, but still that was what, three months ago? I called the store and they warranteed it without question, so it worked out. I just thought that was weird.

Brendan said...

Cracked? How so?

chillwill said...

thank you for the breakfast before and after photos!

Brendan said...

in case you guys don't think that I eat.

Anonymous said...

Uneventful ride as in bad ride???

I'm planning to go for a ride this weekend if the temps permit my water to stay in its liquid phase. Interested??

Anonymous said...

The individual links had visible cracks in them, usually from one pin to an edge, but a few were from pin to pin. None of them had broken apart completely but I could catch some more than others with my fingernails. I should have taken a picture. I got the chain at REI and their bike dept. people had not heard of such a failure or any recalls or defective chains from Sram.

Brendan said...

Ryan- Uneventful as in nothing bad happened with the weather, to me or my bike. The ride was great.

I'm probably going to be up in Boston this weekend, though.