Monday, August 15, 2011

Persuasion


Johanna is my wonderful girlfriend. For a time, between the ages of 16 and 23, I didn't really ride my bike much at all. I don't remember why, but one day were started riding bikes together. We did it a whole bunch. Around that time, I quit smoking and decided to substitute one addiction for another by riding my bike all the time. Johanna doesn't seem to have the same predisposition towards addiction, or maybe is saner than me. So, anyway, she doesn't ride as much as me.


That's ok and that's not what I'm writing about. What I'm writing about is Johanna's ability to not ride much and then ride a long way. Johanna has maybe gone on five rides with me so far this year, but Saturday, with Dario and Peter, we rode up to Westfield and back. I don't think I could do that. I ride all year so that I can ride 80 miles without perishing. Johanna hasn't ridden that far since last year around this time. It's impressive. I wish I had that kind of latent athletic ability.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a gift. Some people have it, some people don't.