Monday, October 11, 2010

Bikes Outside: Happy Thanksgiving!

Today we celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday with a street-seen mountain bike from the Great White North.


The Velo Sport brand is new to me (also annoying to research on search engines, due to how frequently "velo" and "sport" are joined together in the bicycling world). It kind of reminds me of the Skykomish, sans the Deore-level componentry. My Canadian bike knowledge is very limited, though I did ride a Rocky Mountain 'cross bike last year at Interbike and enjoyed it quite a lot.

Like my late Quebecois grandmother back in the day, this Velo Sport Banff is strong and sturdy. It also has a fair amount of dirt on it (albeit less than six feet of it, and this is getting uncomfortably weird so I'm going to stop comparing it to my Grandma riiiight about now)

One thing that stands out to me is that this bike has some generously long rear stays. There is a lot of room back there! I kind of want to do another 700c mountain-street conversion one of these days a la the Frankengoose, so I'm more attuned to rear triangle size lately. I was tempted to claim that I "discovered" this bike and claim it on the spot right there on Trumbull Street, but that wouldn't be in keeping with the spirit of Thanksgiving.

Have a happy Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recently did the 700c mountain-street conversion on a yard sale early 90's Gary Fisher steel MTB. The Mavic Caliper Brake Adjuster was the key to the canti-brake install. Love the setup.