Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Postcard from Glenwood Canyon in Colorado

DSC00124

Interstate 70 finds a way through the west side of the mighty Rockies via Glenwood Canyon, a beautiful drive many of us have prolly made driving cross country. This time, I noticed the multi-use path along the river and decided to check it out since I had my bike with me. Wow! This thing is a feat of engineering in which the builders really worked hard to preserve trees and the canyon and not just blast though....and it shows! If you ever find yourself driving through here and want a fantastic break, bust out yer bike or walking shoes and go exploring. I think there's about a dozen or so miles of path.
It's super fresh to see the tunnels for cars while gallivanting under the dang road! The road noise varies depending where the trail is in relation to the cars and trucks.

DSC00110
The trail moves from the sides of the Interstate, to under, to next to and all over again as the roads and trails meander through the steep, twisty canyon. Its sometimes awkward and noisy with speeding cars a few meters away, sometimes strangely peaceful and quiet, but always surreal. so very urban in many ways, but in a huge natural canyon.

DSC00113
You usually don't share a path with paddlers carrying boats in Hartford!

DSC00135
But then again, the Hog River doesn't have much great white water to paddle! Not that there aren't some great adventures to be had paddling in Hartford, or for that matter, under Hartford!

DSC00121
There's some artwork along the way including this memorial which was enjoyable and musical

more pics...




DSC00133
I wasn't the only cyclist enjoying watching the paddlers bob up and down through the rapids.

DSC00128
The scenery and break from driving made me quite happy!

DSC00137
so did an avocado after the ride!

1 comment:

Salem said...

I think is was the spring of 2001 I found the same path, and I agree, even if you don't have a bike, this is well worth the stop to see. I really wanted to follow the rail line on the opposite side of the river....