Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Strange Terrain

On Sunday, I took a mostly bad mountain bike ride. It rained for most of the time and was super muddy even at the beginning of the ride before the rain started to fall. I probably shouldn't have gone. But, as you know, weekends only come once a week, so you really have to exploit them. I had also endowed my Stumpjumper with a working drive train, so I wanted to test it out.

Despite the bad riding, I did see some interesting things:

The weirdest pavement ever.


What remains of the West Hartford leaf dump.



A secret gazebo, about a half mile south of Heublein Tower.


A south branch of the Park River watershed plaque. I had seen this plaque many, many times before, but never took the time to read it.


I also wanted to see if the Avon Land Trust's trails on the west slope of the mountain below Heublein were any good for a bike. They're pretty tough and were profoundly muddy. I forgot to take a picture. I don't know if I really have an opinion. If you're coming from West Hartford or Bloomfield, they strand you on Nod Road, which sort of sucks.

4 comments:

Bianca said...

this isn't bike related but can I take some of the west hartford leaves? Is this open for plundering?

Brendan said...

There's a big gate, so so it'd be kind of hard to get by car.

Hartford has free leaf compost for Hartford residents.

At first, I thought you wrote "levees" and I couldn't figure out why you'd want to do something that'd result in the destruction of all the houses on the mountain.

Bianca said...

thanks brendan, i think I'll refrain from destroying west hartford for this week

Brendan said...

Then it's a good thing I'm leaving for vacation next week so I won't have to bear witness to your rampage.