Thursday, June 18, 2009

Seeking Sponsors - But For a Good Cause This Time

Just over a year ago, some Waterbury miscreant having absconded with my Dahon folding bike after breaking into my (now deceased) Corolla, I put out the call to the interwebs for sponsorship. As you may recall, Xootr, makers of scooters and folding bicycles, came through with a free bike, which I have come to love deeply, and Manhattan Portage sent some free bags, which have also proved useful, durable, and stylish.

Now, I am seeking sponsors not for myself an my co-bloggers (not to be confused with cob-loggers, who keep meticulous records of every piece of corn consumed at a barbecue), but for a worthy charitable organization, Youth Rights Media. YRM is a New Haven organization that teaches local teenagers media production skills and shows them how to put those skills to work to bring about social change. (Here's the trailer for their new documentary, about kids' getting pushed by schools to withdraw or drop out - I'm interviewed in the movie, and I say about eight words in the trailer, at 1:24.) I'm on the board of directors of YRM, and the Executive Director and I are organizing a fundraising event for the fall at Channel 1 in New Haven, for which we need sponsors and door prizes and silent auction items.

Naturally, I e-mailed Xootr and Manhattan Portage to see if they wanted to kick in some prizes, and naturally, Xootr hit me back right away to say, "Fo' sho'!" They are running behind in bike orders but will send a Xootr Mg scooter, which is a $219 retail value! Nice, right? My girl Lauren at Manhattan Portage is running the idea past her cruel corporate overlords, but I have some faith that they will see the wisdom in having their name down as sponsoring this event.

Did I mention that the event will feature original pieces of art by local New Haven graffiti writers and other artists, and will have a live DJ? These things are true. Did I mention that there will be booze? This is also true. Hopefully, I will get many Yale Law students and other hip up-and-comers to attend, so SPONSORS, HOLLER AT ME TO GET DOWN WITH THIS IMPORTANT AND WORTHY JAM!!! There will be stylish fliers blanketing the New Haven area for this event, and you want your company's name on them, feel me? We especially need:

- BOOZE.
Wine shops, local breweries, moonshine distillers, please get at me.
- MORE COOL SILENT AUCTION ITEMS OR DOOR PRIZES.
- MCs. Everyone loves a freestyle battle. There will already be a live DJ. Some off-the-dome rhyming would be great, dontcha think?
- FOOD. Right now the plan is for me and Laura (the Exec. Director) to make the food ourselves. We're pretty good at this, but if anyone is a professional or an amateur who would like to lend their assistance (more hands = lighter work) to make some nice hors d'ouevres, let me know.
- ART. There is certainly room for more art to be auctioned off.
- ANYTHING ELSE. We will not turn anyone away. If you have a tool and die shop and want to do your part, we will give away crescent wrenches as door prizes. If you drive a soda delivery truck and can arrange for some refreshments to get "damaged during shipping," that's cool too. Leave a comment and I will get back to you.

And now, since no blog post without a picture is worth its salt, here is a photo of the coolest board game ever created in the 1980s. Enjoy.

Strike Price

No comments: