Friday, June 19, 2009

New Bike Commuter Guide



C.I.C.L.E. (Cyclists Inciting Change thru [sic]Live Exchange, which should really be C.I.C.T.L.E., but I can forgive them) is, by its own description, "a nonprofit organization based in Los Angeles working to promote the bicycle as a viable, healthy, and sustainable transportation choice." (So they're basically just like the Beat Bike Blog except they do a lot more stuff, are an actual non-profit organization, have a much more beautiful website, and are in Los Angeles.) The good folks at C.I.C.L.E. have created a 30-page intro to bike commuting called the "Bicycle Lifestyle Guide," which is available for free online, and which is, basically, awesome. It has pretty pictures, handy, practical tips for becoming a bike commuter, and doesn't take a hardcore, holier-than-thou approach that would likely scare off people who are well accustomed to car dependency. Basically, it's the friendly bike commuting manifesto that I would create if I were nicer and more artistic.

I suppose most people who read this blog (if I'm not being too presumptuous with my use of the plural there) are already pretty much sold on bike commuting. But the Bicycle Lifestyle Guide is a great thing to pass along to our more bike-fearful friends who are so used to hearing us bloviate about the joys of bike-riding that they just tune us out. I'm going to e-mail C.I.C.L.E. and ask if there's any way we can get some copies to distribute here in the Beat. In the mean time, check it out (it's at the link above).

No comments: