Friday, May 22, 2009

ATVs and Trains

I'm not going to lie: I don't like ATVs. As a mountain biker and periodic hiker, I don't see the need for a engine to get through the woods. They also ruin parks in my city, race dangerously down the street and tear up trails in the woods. Often, other people and I think that if they had their park, they wouldn't abuse and destroy trails and parks where they don't belong.

So, yesterday as I rode past the Connecticut River Motorcross Park, I was thinking to myself about how it must be nice how ATVs and dirtbikes stay out of the nearby parks because they have their own park. Then, I entered a nearby park (Quarry Park) to find that the trails had all recently grown ruts because morons on ATVs were riding through the park.

Oh, also, you may recall that El Presidente had written about some kind of weird train/bike/walk thing that he wanted to do. I don't know what ever happened with that, but I have been exploring much of what his proposed route would be along the river. Last week, Salem (lover of Sun Tour and winner of The Eel) and Dario (Trinity professor and rider of a fixed gear Fat Chance) went north and I learned that there's a trail through Windsor Meadows State Park up to Loomis. I also learned about the crazy Hockanum River Park! And yesterday, I went south towards Cromwell and discovered the very boring Bukley Park in Rocky Hill.

Here are some pictures:

Wethersfield's river mud is nasty, but fertile.





I also signed up for the D2R2 today.

No comments: