Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Yelling and screaming


There's a rally today at the Capitol for bikes (don't know about the riders) from 12:15 to 1:15. It's in support of SB 735, an improving bicycle and pedestrian access. I had originally wanted to go ride my bike during lunch because the weather is so nice, but I'll probably end up going to the Capitol and yelling.

Here's a link to the flyer.

UPDATE!

I went and here are some pictures (in case you're wondering what bike activists look like):




I didn't stay for the speakers, because I had a meeting at 1.

5 comments:

Karma said...

Lycra spandex and polyester jerseys, what a harsh (un)reality. No wonder people fear bike commuting. All the neon yellow, well thats pretty sweet.

OpusOne said...

I like how waaaay in the back of the first rally photo stands a statey. Ready to enforce the peace amongst all these rabble-rousing cyclists.

El Presidente de China said...

I'm with Karma on this - we need to change our image a little bit. That's why I always do my most epic rides in dress clothes. Seriously.

Brendan said...

I like wearing lycra, but not to work. I'm already getting made fun of for enough stuff.

Billy Hoyle said...

I totally agree with you Karma, and thank you for seconding and thirding the notion prez and brendan. Leaving aside judgments about how bad lycra/spandex with flourescent colors and logos looks on some people (all people?), anything that makes bicyclists look like a creepy club with uniforms and secret handshakes is probably not encouraging for prospective bicycle commuters. Why can't we wear some regular shorts or pants or something over our bike shorts? Why are bike jerseys necessary at all? Why I ask you!