Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Unexpected Dryness


This is more of a question out to those who read this and mountain bike.

I know that you're not supposed to ride during the spring thaw because it makes huge ruts and ruins the trails. I respect that and in years past have stayed out of the woods for weeks this time of year. Strangely, this year it doesn't seem to be the case, though. At least in this area, we had one "thaw" day two days before the last storm when everything was really gross. The weather was nice, so some people went out and their ruts are still there. Apart from that day, though, the trails have been fine, super-solid except where there's always mud. Am I the only one noticing this? Am I going to be crucified by NEMBA for suggesting this?

Update!

I went for a ride after I wrote this post and took a picture to prove the solidity of the trail:


Second update:
I didn't go on the ride to take the picture. It's more, I went for a ride and took a picture.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Situation dictates ... an old Army saying. If the trails can handle it ride on baby! I know a guy who rode Case last weekend and he said it was spectacular. Saw quite a few cars at the Daniels Farm lot in Trumbull last weekend, too. Places that get a lot of sun and dry out quickly are probably fine.

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, this is one of the advantages of a real winter with a lot of snow that stays. The snow insulated the ground from the cold air temps, so the frost didn't get as deep--presto, quicker thaw!

Brendan said...

I thought maybe that I had jinxed myself by writing about this, but trails were great last night, too. It's the cleanest I've returned from a ride in who knows how long. Johanna didn't even think I had gone mountain biking.

Praise be to snowy & cold winters!