Monday, September 15, 2008

Discover Hartford Walking and Bicycle Tour 2008

DSC08783

Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day for a wonderful event here in Hartford. I have no idea what the turn-out was this year, but from all the smiles I saw, it seems like a raging success. Thank you to the CCBA, all the volounteers, all of the sponsors, and to the walkers and riders for a great morning and afternoon. I got some great photos of all the shenanigans!

I saw many more police officers corking intersections this year, it was great. As soon as cyclists arrived at a manned intersection, the officer stopped traffic to let us through. Yeah baby! I also saw riders, not just marshals, stepping up and corking a bit! Well done! We all felt like VIP’s! I also really liked the waterproof maps and cue sheets. Well done CCBA! Great idea! But, just curious, who uses the cue sheets!?!? Who!?!?

I think Keney Park once again stole the show. The cool shade of the tree lined roads felt great as the day warmed up a bit. Enroute some hateful, racist yelled, “Go Home!” from his car on the bridge near Weston Street. I found that sadly funny as I, along with many others, live in Hartford. Ha! I guess that’s why it’s called ignorance! Anyways, Keney Park! Woo-haaa! The riverfront was also nice, but I spent a lot of time in the beginning of the tour helping people with my mini-pump. I really wish I had brought a floor pump, but I wasn’t expecting to be a marshall!

DSC08784
This dude and his doggy are ready to pedal the city!!!

Not sure what else to write. There’s a bunch of photos of the tour and our afterparty @ Kenny’s (Red Rock Tavern) after the jump. They are all in chronological order since I’m kinda anal like that somethines! Enjoy.

Click read more to see more!



DSC08786
“I do it in Hartford” I want that woman’s t-shirt!!!!

DSC08787
Joel and Kristen hard at work at the registration table! Hey, i think he likes you. Get a room!!!

DSC08788
Bianca and a Velomobile with a sticker saying “Bianca Signs” She's says no relation...but who knows!?!? I think she secretly makes bicycles and signs at night in her basement. I forget the dude’s name…sorry!

DSC08790
Krash and Wizzy on the tandem. They later arrived at Kenny’s (Red Rock Tavern) on another tandem. There’s atleast 3 in town right now scooting around. NICE!!

DSC08791
Rick, ohhh Rick. Another flat! Dang dude! What's with you and flat tires. There’s Babaganoush and Lindsey just about to ride past him wondering the same thing!

DSC08793
I dub thee, “The Yosemite RV!” WOW! What a set-up! I love it! Notice the kid's bike on the rack on the trailer!

DSC08794
Sonny showing how much of a safety man he is…tubes and patches! Good thing too, as he later entertained us with an amazing over-the-handlebars dismount on Fern Street. The average judges' score was an 8.6! We were stopped for Ben’s 2ed flat and the homeowner came out with a floor pump! Yeah! Go Hartford! I have no idea why everyone who got a flat…got two? Wierdness indeed.

DSC08797
Do not attempt to adjust yer computer monitor. The water in this pond in Goodwin Park is indeed green...really green! So green, that stuff floats on top of it!

DSC08801
I actually discovered something new about Hartford!; this pathway between Wethersfield Avenue and Brainard Road. I don’t think its usually open though, but what a great little shortcut!

DSC08805
I always seem to get people into situations like these! I wanted to continue along the riverfront and not backtrack so we went this way to avoid being seen and having people mistakenly follow us. Atleast she has a cross bike and well... this is what it is made for!

DSC08806
Donnie taking orders and making us laugh at Kenny’s. I respect and like Donnie a lot, though I pretty much refuse to call the bar by its new name, Red Rock Tavern! I am going to get him elected mayor someday because he runs a great business and really knows how to treat people and keep them coming back. Corner of Capitol and Lawrence Street. Lots of lockable bike parking along the patio fence.

DSC08807
hmmm…Rick again…and now on a different bike! After his second flat, he stopped home and went for the burly mountain bike!


DSC08808
Amy Z and Big Nick chatting amongst the dozens of bikes in and around the bar!


DSC08810
More bikes at the bar. Krash and Wizzy switched to Amy Z’s and Rick’s tandem, seen here. Lots of tandems around. I like that.

DSC08809
Dawn and I took a ride around the block while waiting for our food. It was each of our first times on such a bike. Fun! I’d like to go on another short ride on one.

6 comments:

Karma said...

Simultaneous posts!! I love that despite riding the same ride, same route, and riding it for the most part together there can still be two very different posts. A great ride!

Mark said...

Nice event! Wish I could have been there. I like that Trail-a-bike trailer combo. Going to have to try that with my rug rats at some point. Now I know it works. Probably need a geared bike, though. Hmmm, guess I need another project now.

sonny said...

not sure which was better... the "go home" guy or the lady who told meg to "f" - off. ah well, in the end, good friends and good beer always outweighs the negativity.

OpusOne said...

Yeah! Awesome pics to both Karma and chillwill! Looks like a wonderful event for the city!

Karma said...

Well Rich its your lucky day, I just added about 15 pics to my post!! Go nuts.

Anonymous said...

I got yelled at on the corner of Farmington and Woodland (heading east on Farmington) because I ran the red light. I never stop at three way intersections like that where you don't have to cross traffic. Other bikers were doing so, but why? Anyway, some curmudgeon yelled at me, "you're breaking the law." I smiled and rode on. other than that douche bag, people in the neighborhoods were great. Thanks for the pics.