Friday, September 26, 2008

Ah, Fall

(It's hard to follow a sobering pair of posts like those below with something lighthearted, but, well, here I go anyway.)

I rode to Middletown last night at 9:30 on one of my periodic car-retrieval missions, and for the first time, it felt unmistakably like autumn: Crisp, cool air; that particular sound that seems at first to be the slight movement and breathing of one person very closeby, but turns out to be many many dry leaves farther away; and the actual need for long sleeves and gloves. It was marvelous - much better than today's wet iteration of the season, which I also rode in, although not so happily.

The highlight came in Wethersfield, when I came upon some crazy person with her car stopped perpendicular to traffic, totally blocking the lane, with the engine running and bright headlights shining into an empty field. "What is this moron doing?" I thought to myself. Then I looked where her headlights were shining and saw a deer, frozen like, well, a deer in headlights. There were three of them there, not more than twenty feet from me, just chillaxing and being wild. Even after all the deer I have seen in my life (which are numerous), it is still neat to see them up close.

After a few minutes, I headed on down the road and all three deer started to gallop after me (perhaps mesmerized by my red blinky light or the goofy awesomeness of the Xootr). They followed me for about a block, which was just long enough for me to start entertaining notions of leading a crazy deer stampede all the way to Middletown (or all the way to Washington, to demand a redress of deer grievances from the government), then veered off into some wooded area. Here's a picture I took of the deer in headlights, which, while blurry, is worth clicking on to get a larger view:

6 comments:

Mark said...

Just don't get the notion to go out looking for deer and putting antlers on your helmet. Instant arrow/buckshot/bullet magnet.

I know it's problem for cars to deer but has anyone been on a bike and hit a deer?

chillwill said...

sweet pic dude. you have yer tripod witchu?

El Presidente de China said...

I did have the tripod with me, but I didn't want to bother setting it up 'cause I was afraid to miss the shot. Instead, I relied on my preternatural ability to remain very still.

Brendan said...

a long time ago I was mountain biking in avon with my friend jacob. he and a deer hit. jacob fell off his bike, but was unhurt. the deer seemed to be ok and kept running.

everyone knows the story about me hitting the groundhog a few months ago.

OpusOne said...

I'm somewhat confused by what the driver of the car was doing. Have they never seen deer before? Do they think the road also serves as some sort of free deer-zoo viewing area? "Oooo look! Deer. Let's totally block the lane of a dark road and scare the crap out of them with our super-bright magical light conjurers!"

Anyway, Yay, Fall! The leaves in Upstate NY are much further along than here in CT at this point, but my morning ride shows that the trees here are starting to get the hint that it's time. One of the trees up on Riverfront Plaza has started dropping leaves and the recent rain left them stuck to the concrete as a nice, soft, yellow carpet to cruise on.

Karma said...

I was wondering about the driver's positioning but surmised that people are erratic and didnt say anything. Then again they could have been complying with El Prez's request for a bit better lighting to make up for the deficiency of a insufficient flash! Either way hurrah for fall, except for when wet leaves pile up along the shoulder and make for dangerous riding.