Saturday, January 30, 2010

Nil

Colder than this

If one is the loneliest number, what is zero? Well, at 8 o'clock this morning, it was the temperature as I started my six mile pedal on the road to meet my friend Cliff for some thin-snow-cover mountain biking around Case Mountain. We are both fans of low traction conditions that don't involve mud (with its subsequent bike maintenance and trail damage), so some offroad riding was a must, but Cliff had obligations commencing at 11am, meaning early was the order of the day. And of course, early meant cold.

But really, depending on your outlook, cold can be a good thing, or at the very least interesting. I've experienced beard condensation icicles before, but today was truly special. Unfortunately, a camera wasn't on hand early enough to capture the first coating which had individual hairs looking like strands of spaghetti squash; old man winter didn't have a think on me. Still, the nostril stalactites were my best effort yet and survived for your viewing displeasure.


Even my bike picked up its own frosty goodness

So for the "it's too cold to ride" contingent, yes, zero is cold, maybe too cold for most, but if we can manage a good time down so low, maybe you'll want to reconsider the merits of riding at twenty. Just be sure to dress warmly, and keep your feet dry. Thanks mom.

No comments: