Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Ice race?



I've been belly aching to one and all about the warm January temperatures. Well, I got my wish: it's going to be cold this week. It does not appear that the five day forecast gets above freezing or even above 30. As you probably know from studying magic or science in elementary school, that causes water to become ice. That can happen in places like ponds or the Wethersfield Cove. With it being cold all week, I bet you that these bodies of water will become things that you can ride your bike on, because there hasn't been a lot of snowfall.

Several years ago, Salem and I rode up to Congamond for the NEMBA ice race. Salem was dropping off a bike part for someone and I thought Southwick was too far away to ride with studded tires, so we were just spectators. Wethersfield Cove is closer and much more easily ridden to with studded tires, so we should have an ice race of our own here this weekend.

Should we do this on Saturday? Would it be awesome? Would it suck?


7 comments:

Tony C said...

I'm in. What time?

Hockanum by East Hartford City Hall would be another potential location.

dario said...

So, who is going to go cut the ice to see how thick it is?

Tony C said...

Dario - You'll test it with your front tire.

Just remembered I have a commit Sat morning. Would Sat afternoon or Sunday morning work.

Brendan said...

Are there ice fishermen out there yet? That's my test for ice thickness.

I was going to ride down tomorrow morning.

Tony C said...

My test used to be sending out my younger brother...

Tony C said...

God rest his soul.

Unknown said...

What time? After noon ok???