Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Clean up the river again



I know have written any beat bike blog things for a long time and this has nothing to do with bikes. For the fifth year (though not fifth year in a row), I am organizing a clean up of the bank of the Connecticut River at its confluence with the Park River. This spot doesn't get the attention that Charter Oak Landing & Riverside Park get, so I think it's due a good annual cleaning. This year promises some good trash, because I didn't organize one of these last year since I went to a wedding. The clean up will take place Oct. 5 from 10am to 1pm.

If you come by car, your best option for parking is either on Charter Oak Ave or Van Dyke Ave. From there, you can walk down the paved access road and up the levee. I'll have some gloves on hand. I advise wearing pants and closed shoes. Also, bring water and perhaps a snack, because I'm a poor student and can't afford a case of water for everyone. Give me a call if you have any questions at 860 729 9603 or email me.

This clean up is part of the larger Source to Sea Clean Up, which is happening all up and down the river on Oct. 5. If Hartford is too far away for you or you just don't like it but still want to clean the river, here are other locations: http://www.ctriver.org/portfolio-items/source-to-sea-cleanup/.


Here's a map illustrating approximately where the access road is and where you should park: http://g.co/maps/f9erq

No comments: