This is the most momentum for active and sustainable transportation that Hartford has ever seen during the Winter. Well the most momentum since Colonel Albert Pope was on the scene in the 1890's and saturating Hartford with Columbia bicycles. A season of abnormally warm weather brought to us by global weirdness has even kept the fair weather riders on the road. The City of Hartford is waking up to the need for safe and sustainable human powered transportation with new zoning regulations that include an entire chapter on Complete Streets design - just approved in January.
|College prep students at Center for Latino Progress just signed up for Earn-a-Bike!|
- Weekly DIY Member Hours at BiCi Co. - We are holding these twice a week at 97 Park Street. Wednesdays from 5:30-8:30pm and Saturdays from 1:30-5:30pm. You can still become a member by buying in or earn your membership by volunteering 10 hours. More info here. Fix your own bike, shadow a mechanic and learn new skills, work on bikes to support BiCi Co. projects, or just hang out and talk about bikes! Right now BiCi Co. Volunteers are working on a group of bikes for a developing Spring Break week project that we're calling BIKE LIFE - HARTFORD! Stay tuned for more announcements on that soon. Volunteers can just show up, but it's helpful if you let us know using this survey what days you are planning to attend.
|Kevin learning how to straighten a woefully bent derailleur hanger|
- BiCi Co. Women's Committee - Sunday, February 14th, 2pm-3:30pm at 95 Park Street, 2nd Floor - Third meeting of the BiCi Co. Women's Committee. This committee was formed right up front to address known under representation of women riding bikes. This is a national issue and by looking around Hartford even worse in our city. Interested in joining the committee or getting into the loop for meeting notes? Send your contact info to Tony Cherolis.
|The Women's Committee is cranking!|
- Friday, February 26th - IceBike (and Walk) to Work. We're doing this every month in Hartford and East Hartford. 7am-8:30am. Maddie's in East Hartford, right across from P&W on Main Street. Ashley's in Hartford on Main Street, just south of Downtown. Topic for discussion - The snow finally arrived. Are you running studded tires? Which kind? Are they really that magical? Share the event with your friends with this Facebook Event.
|Time to put the studded tires on the cross bike.|
- BiCi Co. Earn-a-Bike - Starting end of February. We're recruiting teens and young adults from age 13 to 19. This program will run for eight weeks and the teen will leave with a bike they tuned up themselves, a helmet, bike lock, and lights. The teens will also leave with bicycle maintenance and safety skills and a bit of knowledge about Hartford bicycle history and bicycle science. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5:30-7:30pm at BiCi Co. Send contact information for the teen and parent / guardian to Tony Cherolis.
- <<SAVE THE DATE>> Bikes vs Cars, Monday, April 4th - After a sellout Bikes vs Cars movie in January Real Art Ways is bringing it back for a second showing on Monday April 4th. In addition to the movie, there will be a passel of bicycle advocacy organizations and cycling clubs tabling in the galleries before the movie begins. Let's sell it out again and park even more bikes on the railing. Even if you're not seeing the movie, stop by for the expo and chat up your favorite (and new) bike organizations. RAW is highlighting Earth Day in April at their monthly Creative Cocktail Hour on April 21st. Check that out too.