2016 is going to be a banner year for sustainable transportation in Hartford. To kick off the year I am rolling out BiCi Co. news and programs along with some other bicycle news and opportunities. Walking and biking (and buses) work just fine through the winter. The short days and cold months are also perfect for tuning up your rig, learning new skills, and contributing as a volunteer for a BiCi Co. youth program.
Momentum - A Short List for January 2016
- DIY Member Repair Hours at BiCi Co. - These were great in 2015, of course this is going to start right back up in 2016. Work on your rig, fix up something we've got in the shop, or help someone else out. Wednesdays 5:30-8:30pm and Saturdays 1:30-5:30pm. Starting on January 6th.
- BiCi Co. T-Shirts - We just put in the order for our 1st Edition BiCi Co. t-shirts. These go to our kickoff campaign donors who chose this as a "perk." We'll have a limited number of extras available for $20 each. Will let you know when we get them in the shop.
- Earn-a-Bike Teen Program - Recruiting right now! 13-18 years old. Starts late in February. Two meetings a week for 8 weeks. Bike maintenance skills, safety training, a bit of engineering, safety accessories, and a bike for each participant. Interested or know a teen that is? Contact Tony C and you'll be included on the invitation to the EAB orientation.
- Bikes vs Cars - January 11th. 7pm movie at Real Art Ways, 56 Arbor Street. Followed with brief panel discussion with P&Z Chair, Sara Bronin and others. Get your tickets at the door. More info.
- Hartford Zoning Update and Complete Streets Chapter - This is important! Now you know. This is the most important 2016 happening in Hartford relative to a step change in how the city works towards sustainable transportation. Your input and support needed. Hartford's P&Z Commission has drafted a complete rewrite of zoning regulations. The draft significantly reduces car parking minimums for new developments, requires bike parking minimums, and gives credit to further reduce car parking with inclusion of bike parking. There is an entire chapter that captures best practices in Complete Streets and a connected bike route map is included. Public Comment Session on Tuesday, January 12th at 6pm, 260 Constitution Plaza, Plaza Level Conference Room. Email P&Z with your comments here if you can't make the session in person. Or do both!
- IceBike (and Walk) to Work - Friday, January 22nd. 7:00-8:30am. East Hartford at Maddie's on Main Street. Hartford at Ashley's on Main Street. All weather, year round human powered commuters need breakfast. We meet up and chat during winter months. January's conversation topic - Skiing vs Winter Riding. Why do the same folks that drive hours to ski put away their bikes for four months of the year?
- BiCi Co. Volunteers - We need you! All sorts of volunteer roles and levels of commitment. Send an email to Tony C to get on the volunteer email list. Fill out a survey to sign up for January DIY repair hours as a volunteer. The volunteer support and diversity of skill sharing is what makes BiCi Co. so special.
- BiCi Co. Job Posting - Coming soon. Stay tuned. The programs and hours at BiCi Co. are growing in 2016 and we'll be hiring to support that growth. This is an outgrowth of our 2015 programs, the crowd funding campaign, and grant funding for 2016. You helped make this happen.
- Inspired to Ride - Thursday, January 21st. 7:30pm at Cinestudio, Trinity College. Ready for some winter inspiration? Come see a movie with Bike Walk CT. Get tickets online here. Inspired to Ride, the latest cycling film from the makers of Ride the Divide, follows a handful of cyclists from around the world as they race unsupported in the inaugural year of The Trans Am Bike Race. It's the antithesis to events like Tour de France and Race Across America. There are no teams, no support vehicles, no special jerseys and not a dime in prize money. The event is sponsored by Bike Walk Connecticut. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door the day of the show. Winter bike movies tend to sell out, so we recommend buying tickets online! Spread the word and invite friends with this event page.
|Can't wait to see this t-shirt all over Hartford!|